Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Pressure Cooker Spaghetti and Meatballs


Spaghetti and meatballs in 10 minutes and it tastes like it was slow cooked for hours. I'm not joking.

A deep, tangy and robust taste, sauce as smooth as butter, and the most tender meatballs one can make I think.

You can slow cook this same recipe for hours and if you do. Save half the sauteed onions and half the spices to be added during the last hour of cooking. Slow cooking tends to flatten the taste of spices and such and reserving half and adding late in the cooking cycle will "brighten" the taste once more.

That being said. Use a Pressure Cooker. I admit I just bought one and am learning to use it myself, but this recipe came out so good, I would recommend you have to try the pressure method. It may very well be the only way you make spaghetti sauce from now on.

Ingredients and Method:

1/2 package frozen italian meatballs (I found a full package to be too many)
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 14 1/2 oz cans diced tomatoes with juice
2 8 0z cans tomato sauce
1 small can tomato paste
1 large sweet onion
4 cloves minced garlic
1/2 cup red wine
1 tablespoon oregano
1 tablespoon thyme
1 tablespoon basil
3 bay leaves
2 tablespoons brown sugar

Pour olive oil into pressure cooker, and bring to medium heat. Saute diced onions until they soften and start to become translucent. Add garlic and continue to saute for 3 - 4 minutes, stirring occasionally.

Add the balance of the ingredients to the cooker. Tomatoes, paste, sauces, wine, spices, and brown sugar. Pour the meatballs right in. Even frozen will work fine.

Turn the heat up, uncovered, and stir until the sauce begins to bubble vigorously. Place the top on the cooker and seal, still on high heat. Leave on high until it begins to steam continuously, then immediately turn to medium low, just enough to have a constant gentle flow of steam escaping for the cooker.

Begin timing the 10 minutes once you turn the heat down as explained above. When the time has elapsed, quick cool the pressure cooker by running it under cold water.

Uncover, and what I like to do is, is turn on a gentle low heat, and let the sauce bubble gently while I prepare the pasta, and bread, and salad or whatever you are serving it with. It's done, but a little gentle further cooking never hurt a spaghetti sauce.

Ladle spaghetti sauce and meatballs over freshly cooked pasta and top with Parmesan cheese, or my current favorite, Parmesan Reggiano.

Enjoy.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow! Thank you for posting this recipe! I found it online today and made it for dinner! It was a huge hit!!! I made my meatballs from scratch, browned them in the frying pan and then added them to the items in the pressure cooker! As soon as my husband walked into the house, he said it smells awesome! Yep, we agree, it tasted fabulous! Can't wait for leftovers tomorrow!

Andrea said...

Wasn't feeling very well, but still had to put dinner on the table for my family. This was fast and delicious. Used meatballs I had previously made and froze. You were spot on in that they were so tender. Everyone figured I was feeling better and slaved over the sauce for hours. Thank you! Can't wait to try your other recipes; I just bought myself a pressure cooker last week. Bought a Fagor made in Spain. Love it so far.

Ron Merlin said...

Andrea,

Do try soups in the Pressure Cooker, they are wonderful.

Glad the spaghetti worked out for you. That's why I have a blog.

Just sharing good food.